Move over Nutella, no room for you here.
Home-made Chocolate & Hazelnut Spread, using nothing but the beauty of natural ingredients.
Whenever I am walking home from the bus stop, I always detour via Scoop Wholefoods in Mosman. I browse for about 10 minutes, as I source out at least $5 worth of goodies due to the Eftpos minimum ha!
However it is worth it. Each time, I leave with different ingredients, eager to get home and whip up a storm in my kitchen!
Today was a Nut Day; hazelnut and macadamia
Something a little diverse, and certainly something a little tasty.
When you buy nuts, you can do one of 2 things.
- Store them in an air-tight jar in the fridge for snack purposes
- Blend up a Nut Butter Creation!
I always choose 2.
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1 heaped tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 heaped tbsp cacao powder
- 2-3 tbsp water
- Cacao nibs
- Blend the hazelnuts in a food processor until finely chopped
- Melt the honey and coconut oil, adding into the Nut mixture
- Add 1 tbsp water, blend
- Add the cacao powder, blend
- Add the rest of the water & cacao nibs
- Blend until a smooth, rich and fluffy texture forms – depending on your blender, you may need more wet ingredients for a smoother consistency. However, if you like your nut spread crunchy, then adapt to suit your preference!
Do you have a morning ritual?
A particular way you like to spend those early hours of the day that help to start your day right?
A Typical Morning in the life of #flavourfoodflow
I wake up to the sound of a super obnoxious alarm, pounding from my phone that’s about two metres away from my bed.
Whilst no doubt waking me up, having the phone parked far from my bed means I have to physically get up to turn it off. And once I’m up, well, there’s no reason to get back in bed.
I then quickly get changed into my workout gear, motivating coloured tights, and head out the door for my morning walk. I listen to a lot of nostalgic music, so I pretty much reflect on incredible memories for a whole hour. It’s amazing!
As mentioned in yesterday’s post on Morning Walks, I like to always have an end goal. For me, it’s a hot morning coffee from The Boathouse in Balmoral. I give myself 30 mins to enjoy the coffee, and write my daily blog post. Talk about an incredible office space…
Once I arrive back home, feeling rejuvenated and energised from the fresh air and post-exercise endorphins, I begin my routine.
- Hot water and lemon
- Big glass of water
- Herbal tea
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin B
- Magnesium Citrate (dissolved in water)
Common Breakfast Choices:
- Green Smoothie (with protein)
- Chia Seed Pudding
- Eggs & veggies
I then enjoy my food with no distractions, as I’m super big on digestion and ensuring that each mouthful is mindfully eaten.
- TIP: I know it sounds silly, but aim for about 30 chews per mouthful… At least! This will help you to slow down, and also reduce that post-feed bloat.
I attend to all my social media tasks on Instagram and Facebook whilst I’m finishing off my hot beverages.
- TIP: save all your old jars. They make smoothies, teas and even water that much more enjoyable to drink!
By now, it’s about 8/8:30am and I’m ready to get changed and get moving!
So. What’s your new morning ritual?
I really regret waking up for that morning walk… Said no one ever.
We are constantly being told about the benefits of morning exercise.
Boosts your metabolism… Wakes you up… Starts your day right… We are fully aware.
But how many of us are constantly reminding ourselves of the benefits of morning exercise, then staying up late at night and pressing the SNOOZE button the following morning before it ends up being too late. You’ve “ran out of time… places to go, people to see.”
University, work, appointments, coffee dates…
Don’t get me wrong, I’m a morning person, and so I certainly find it a lot easier than most. But it’s never easy. No one who wakes up at 5/5:30am is genetically blessed with early-rising genes that make it effortless to jump out of bed. No way! They almost selfishly understand that it’s their chance to spend 30-60 mins of doing something that will provide endless benefits, and make the entire day a whole lot better!
Now that’s my rant on morning exercise… But if you’re still stuck for motivation, here are some simple tips:
- Go to bed early – one thing you don’t want to start doing is losing your sleep. Sleep is precious, and we must look after our body after a busy day. So plan ahead, put your phone on silent, finish your homework an hour earlier, record that late night TV show for the weekend..
- Invite a friend. I know it sounds simple and everyone says it, but if you know you’re meeting someone at an odd hour of the morning, the chances of you standing them up are slim (I hope). Make sure you text and call each other when your alarms go off, and scream motivating chants down the phone…
- Find a purpose or end goal. For me, I promise myself a coffee. Whether it be at the half way mark of a morning walk, allowing me to hold something warm for the second half, or maybe it’s a healthy breakfast with a friend after a workout. Don’t let anyone take that away from you either – I always say to my friends when they come on a walk with me “but I have to get a coffee after. It’s my promise to myself!”
- Invest in some awesome workout gear! This is something I swear by… So many people think that gym gear is ridiculously expensive, and sure, maybe it is. But I can promise you it has the potential to be the clothes most worn. I’ve spent $100’s of dollars on dresses that I have worn once. I also love wearing colours that reflect my mood – bright tights seriously get me moving of a morning. I even own a pair with a sun rising…
So it’s time to get up and get moving!
Stay tuned for the next 30 Day Challenge!