This tasty pizza recipe is GLUTEN FREE and healthy! A great alternative to your fast-food option… And perfect for an enjoyable night in.
Its the simpizza things in life
For the Crust:
- 1 ½ cups quinoa, uncooked and soaked overnight
- ½ cup filtered water (plus more for soaking)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
For the roasted cherry tomatoes:
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
For the basil pesto:
- 2 cups tightly packed basil
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Squeeze of fresh lemon
- Sea salt and pepper
Other pizza ingredients:
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- Handful of basil leaves (to garnish)
Other toppings: sautéed mushrooms, eggplant, or peppers, sautéed spinach or other greens, garlic, mozzarella cheese.
For the quinoa crust:
- Place uncooked quinoa in a bowl and cover with water. Allow to soak at room temperature overnight, or for at least 8 hours. Quinoa will have absorbed all water by this time and fluffed up a bit. Place soaked quinoa in a mesh strainer and give a good rinse.
- Preheat oven to 220C°/425°F. In a blender or food processor add in soaked and rinsed quinoa, ½ cup filtered water, salt, baking powder, oregano, and garlic powder. Blend on medium-high until quinoa begins to form a smooth batter – about 1-2 minutes.
- Line a large baking tray or round pizza pan with parchment paper. You can drizzle pan with a bit of oil before placing the parchment paper on top so it doesn’t move around. Drizzle parchment paper in pan with olive oil and pour in quinoa crust batter in a thin layer. Use a spatula to thin out and make sure crust is even.
- Bake the crust for 15-20 minutes, until it begins to turn golden. (During this time you can also place your tomatoes in the oven to roast!) Remove pizza from oven, gently flip over, and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until edges begin to turn golden and crisp. During this time, prepare the pesto and slice your zucchini or other toppings.
- Remove pizza from oven, cover with pesto sauce, layers of zucchini, and roasted tomatoes. Sprinkle pizza with sea salt and pepper. Bake an additional 5-10 minutes, or until zucchini starts to gently brown. Remove from oven, slice up, and devour! You can also sprinkle the pizza with some torn basil leaves, or a drizzle of olive oil.